The Center for School-Community Collaboration (CSCC) is located in the School of Education within Virginia Commonwealth University. Initially, the Center provided training programs for school personnel, parents and community leaders that focused on the prevention of youth alcohol and other drug use. This training has expanded to include additional programs that address issues negatively impacting youth, schools, and communities: youth violence, gang activity, school crisis, bullying, truancy and school drop-out.
The guiding principle of the Center is that community-wide action based on collaboration and cooperation is essential to overcoming negative, destructive factors and to promoting healthy, resilient, productive youth. The Center's training emphasizes community team efforts, and it provides follow-up technical assistance for parent, school and community groups.
Several state agencies and local education agencies have utilized the skills and expertise provided by the CSCC. The Center has also served as grant manager for initiatives through the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, including the VA Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive Grant (SPF-SIG), and the Virginia Department of Education including managing grants for No Child Left Behind through the Governor's Office for Substance Abuse Prevention (GOSAP).
Starting in late 2014, the Center added two new projects:
- Partnering with the VA Department of Education on the Virginia Tiered Systems of Support. This program couples the Response to Intervention (RTI) and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) programs for universal prevention, as well as early identification and intervention with students in K-12 schools.
- Facilitating SAMHSA's Now is the Time: Project Aware and Youth Mental Health First Aid programs, in which we will work on behavioral health, wellness and student assistance programs with K-12 school divisions across the Commonwealth.
For more information about the Center's involvement with the above projects and their functions, please go to VTSS-RIC.org.
For more information about the Center and what we do, please go to About Us.
How to Use Our Web Site
To the right, we list updates and news involving the Center, prevention and SPF - both the approach and the SIG awards.
On our menu, you see links to areas we cover, including:
- Training - topics that the Center addresses both individually and in meeting/conference settings
- School Resources - topics of concern to educators and parents, and resources on each
- Prevention Clearinghouse (PCH) - the section of our web site that provides a one-stop shop to all sorts of resources about all levels of prevention. We are still building on our information, so stay tuned for updates.
We invite you to please take a tour of our site and information and contact us if you have any specific requests or needs. Please check back often, as we update our web site frequently.